I Stand With Diana.

Diana and Bella

Diana Stone is a Mother. A really good mother. And she’s pregnant with her second. Only this time it’s twins. She found that out back in February and has been trying to wrap her head around all the excitement (and chaos) two babies would bring ever since. Just last week she found out the twins in her belly were boys. Two beautiful baby boys — Preston and Julian — to terrorize her daughter Bella, and turn she and her husband Sam prematurely gray. At least, she hoped they would, like any Mother hopes that the million billion things that have to work perfectly for a healthy little human to develop would go as planned.

And then on Friday plans changed.

At eighteen weeks and four days into her pregnancy, Diana’s water broke.  She rushed to University Medical Center in El Paso, TX, where she lives. Shortly thereafter, she turned to her online community for support – she’d learned horrible news:

When I saw her updates, my heart broke, too.  Diana.  Losing her beautiful boys.  I couldn’t digest what my friend was about to go through.  But when Diana and Sam decided that induction wasn’t an option they could go through with and they preferred instead to keep Diana monitored and on bed rest and let nature take it’s course — the only thing they could do to give their sons even a slim chance at survival — things actually somehow got worse for them.

Despite the fact that the boys were still thriving in Diana’s uterus, and the fact that as of yet there was no infection or imminent threat to Diana’s health, her doctors at UMC would spent the next several days taunting her, berating her decision, and eventually:

And then this:

And perhaps most offensive of all to the Hippocratic Oath, this:

She’s a Mother.  She’s doing the only thing she can to save her babies lives, and she’s being met with the disdain and mockery of the people who might be able to help her carry these boys to term if they could put their bruised egos aside.

Diana is a Christian and is being called “hysterical” by her doctors for wanting Faith to play a role in the fate of her sons. They’re making her decision to fight for her children’s life out to be solely a religious one, and regardless, they somehow feel that gives them to right to dismiss it. They’re trying to squash her spirit when her strength of spirit is all she and her boys have.

I am a Jew. I’m vehemently pro-choice. Neither of those qualifiers have a place in this conversation – and yet, as a pregnant mother wanting to do everything she could for her unborn children, Diana was almost not given a choice.  How many other women have been in her shoes only to trust in the medical advice they are given, and sacrifice their unborn children without a fight?

Diana and Sam now have a patient advocate working with them to ensure that they are given the best medical care available while they continue to fight for Preston and Julian’s lives. But the horror of what they’ve been through these past few days remains.

This should not happen to any patient with any belief system in any situation. I’m sick about the fact that it’s happened to my friend Diana.

Diana has written about the experience (and the unbelievable outpouring of internet support) in her own words HERE.

The brilliant Katherine Stone has also detailed the ordeal HERE.

Jill, Diana, and I on the streets of Nashville.

Update:

38 Responses to I Stand With Diana.

1. Kaitevans says:

@the818 @lifeasasahm I do too!

2. Carryn Leigh Maclean says:

I keep going to her twitter and checking it. I just cannot believe the lack of respect those doctors have. You and Katherine are awesome for getting this out there.

3. The818.com says:

It’s infuriating what’s going on over there.

4. SanDiegoMomma says:

My sister had her daughter at 21 weeks and both are doing very well, despite what the doctors thought. Her daughter is now four years old and thriving. If there’s a chance, it must be taken.

5. Pingback: The Power Of Love, Women & The Internet | Baby Rabies

6. Sprmama says:

I am in tears reading this.  As I mother of two premature boys, I cannot wrap my head around what she is going through.  I am Catholic, pro-choice, from a family of pediatricians, GPs, and OB/GYNs. Diana’s MIS-treatment doesn’t just go against the Hippocratic Oath, it show’s the doctors’ lack of human decency and compassion.  I’m saying an extra prayer for Diana and her babies.

7. Sprmama says:

I am in tears reading this.  As a mother of two premature boys, I cannot wrap my head around what she is going through.  I am deeply religious and come from a family of pediatricians, GPs, and OB/GYNs. Diana’s MIS-treatment doesn’t just go against the Hippocratic Oath, it show’s the doctors’ lack of human decency and compassion.  I’m saying an extra prayer for Diana and her babies.

8. LittleStories says:

Such a great reminder that fighting for the unborn comes in many different situations and packages. Praying that the Great Physician will allow the boys to live!!!!! Thanks for writing such powerful words!!!

9. avianchild says:

@blogdangerously someone needs to hand her and her husband a set of cojones. I mean, ffs. stand up for yourself!!

• the818 says:

@avianchild They did, quite vigilantly, and succeeded. The fact that they had to fight so hard for the care they wanted remains.

10. TheRandomCrayon says:

@blogdangerously That is horrifying, how can they even fathom such horrendous treatment of your friend. My thoughts and prayers to her.

11. McNary says:

@lyzl That’s crazy. I’m with her! We feared issues with our twins boys, prayers answered and they were (relatively) healthy at birth.

12. minervaPA says:

@blogdangerously Shocking. Another example of being nothing other than a number. Good luck & very best wishes to your friend.

13. AnnieThomlinson says:

@blogdangerously omg that is terrible. please keep us posted!

14. Thank  you for writing this post. What is happening to her is an outrage. I am glad to see so many women and mothers banding together, because we women, we mothers do NOT put up with this kind of BS. It has been made quite clear just watching this that when we see wrong being done to one of our own, we say no. And we mean it. Thinking of Diana.

15. KarenBRoberts says:

@blogdangerously My 1st was born premie & I went against medical advice-glad I did-she’s 13, perfectly fine & beautiful. #IstandforDiana

16. lawblond7 says:

@blogdangerously I went into labor w my twins at 20 weeks. Bed rest & hosp kept them til 33 weeks today they are 15

17. lawblond7 says:

@blogdangerously also when I was inpatient another moms water broke at 19 weeks they kept her in hosp til she went into labor at 25 weeks

18. nuttysportsmom says:

@blogdangerously oh my goodness!!! That is horrible!!!

19. LenaLovesStuff says:

@randomnloveit @blogdangerously Motherfuckers!

20. dkhogan says:

@blogdangerously do I need to go all pre-natal on them? Friend broke water at 19 weeks, carried to 30 weeks an has a healthy boy.

21. rmrichards99 says:

@blogdangerously horrible! So glad for the rally of support for her. Every woman deserves the ability of choice and power over her own self!

22. birthstoriesond says:

@the818 @lifeasasahm Love this blog post!

23. snowtalker says:

@Paxochka There are moments when I wonder if some people have any humanity in them at all!

24. ErinMargolin says:

@the818 morgan, thanks for writing that post. i love it. also? just left you a comment—had no idea you were Jewish, too! ;-)

25. 7 kids in TX says:

I heard about this on Twitter.  I live in El Paso and am so angry this is happening to your friend.  Does she need anything?  I would love to help her, as would my whole homeschool group. We are praying for a miracle for her babies.  Contact me if there is something I can do.
       Thanks!

• hixfam07 says:

Check out her “support” page on FB “Hearts for Diana”  (which her sister is running) and her blog FB page “Hormonal Imbalances” – I’m sure if you ask either place someone will let you know what you can do to help! I wish I lived closer because I would be helping in a heartbeat!

26. MommyMoxie says:

Oh.My.Hell….after staffing El Paso hospitals for six years with medical professionals, I can’t say I’m surprised though.  Their resources leave (much) to be desired.  Hang on Diana!  Go with your heart and with your faith.  My second  son was also a preemie and we had to fight for him every inch of the way-if you are not an advocate for your child (or children in Diana’s case), often times no one will be.  Keep fighting for what you believe, educate yourself as much as you can and use that patient advocate. No one knows you better than you and there are miracles each and every day.

All my prayers!!

Nicole

27. jessikacurry says:

@Paxochka what can we do?

28. amberwest says:

Beautifully covered. I’ve been following Diana for a while now and have partnered with another blogger (namammaste.com) to raise funds for Diana. I hope you don’t mind my posting the link here for anyone interesting joining the effort.