Cool or Crazy; Creepy Internet Creepster Edition

First of all, it’s awesome how offensively bad I am at taking these [so-called] outfit shots.

{nice face, self.}

Secondly, Cool or Crazy is totally my new favorite [hopefully if I can get my shit together] blog feature ever.   (Well, since pregnancy, obviously.)   So I thought I might take a moment to remind you what happened…PREVIOUSLY, ON COOL OR CRAZY.

Scott wasn’t home, and I had to get dressed for a meeting.   This was the end result:

But after an awkward run-in with an overly complimentary teenage Barista of questionable taste at my local Starbucks, I decided to turn to you, readers of The818, to help me find my way to grown-up dressing without losing my own, er…sometimes eccentric, personal style.   Your responses were basically split down the middle on the cool vs. crazy front.   But the repeating trend was, approximately half of blog readers polled thought my jeans looked like a Rorschach test gone awry.  (No seriously, I got called that.)   On the bright side, at least you guys had me laughing while you politely trashed my fashion sense:

Ouch.  Both because I’m now second guessing my outfit, AND there’s Pomegranate Juice up my nose.

So it is with mild trepidation that I give you -

Cool or Crazy: Creepy Internet Creepster Edition.

* * *

Once upon a time I was a regular person with a regular job in a regular office around other regular people.   I went out after work, I slept over at my boyfriend’s house, and I generally existed in the outside world on a daily basis.   But those days are over.   Now I’m the kind of weirdo who works from home, wears pajamas at two in the afternoon, and talks to strangers online instead of coworkers in the next cubicle.

{I’m also the kind of weirdo who doesn’t know how to use her camera, is super awkward in front of it, and can’t frame a self-portrait to save her life.}

So naturally, being a totally creepy internet person now, I have frighteningly little reservation about taking my fourteen month old baby to meet strangers who I trust are not Ted Bundy based solely on their word and some really really cute baby pictures on a website somewhere.

All joking aside (anyway don’t worry, we met in a well populated public place) when one of my oldest and dearest internet friends (we go back like a year and a half, dudes) showed up in my hometown for the holidays, I showered, got dressed, and did my best to appear like a real person in preparation to meet the famous-in-our-house Kenny, Staci, and Miloh. We’ve been following each others lives, and have watched each other’s children grow since Staci and I were both pregnant.   I loved reading along as Kenny made many of the same faux paus as Scott did on the road from dude to dad, all the while tracking his wife’s burgeoning belly with the loving eye of a gifted photog…which he is, amongst other awesomely creative things (have you seen his info graphics?) and getting to spend some time with all of them was both effortless and awesome.   I wish they lived here, because we would totally have awesome play dates all the time.

Anyway – more on that tomorrow after Kenny shares his pictures from our visit, because once again, I ended up with nothing but this iPhone shot thanks to a pretty cranky Dee:

Okay, back to me and my outfit.   Kenny, for the record, voted my last attempt a resounding CRAZY, so I was hoping not to scare him and his family out of The Valley for good.

Top to bottom:

Necklace – SurvivalofTheHippest.com

Tank – William Rast for Target

Sweater – Express (on sale, and DAMMIT do I hate admitting when I shop there.)

Leggings – Hue

Boots - Minnetonka Woodstock Boot

I guess the pants and boots are probably the wild card on this outfit, but I love both of them.   The leggings are black with gold flecks in them (which the sweater has too) and are totally rad, and the boots are all fringe-y.   Since they’re kind of falling off into blackness thanks to my limited knowledge of photography, here’s an iPhone close up so you can appropriately judge me.

That’s it!   How’d I do?   And more importantly, should I start adding Delilah’s wardrobe to these posts?   She’s much better dressed than me.

21 Responses to Cool or Crazy; Creepy Internet Creepster Edition

1. Linz says:

Adorable! Plus, it’s LA, so you can get away with pretty much anything… people will just think you’re an artist. Why do you hate admitting you shop at Express? Their editor pants rock my world (and my butt, tbh).

Pics of dee would be an awesome plus, too :)

2. elle says:

i love outfit posts! … and for the record, your self shots are awesome.

i think the first outfit has great pieces, but should not necessarily be worn together. but i kind of dress like an asshole on the regular and get a kick out of it, so props for being adventurous with your choices! you look fabulous regardless.

secondly, your outfit today is SO CUTE. and i have maybe 5 variations of mocassin/mocassin-type boots, and i love them. the outfit as a whole is perfect.

also, YES to posting dee’s outfits!

xx

– e

3. well if you can’t pull off cute in LA, i’m screwed on the east coast.

4. courtenay g says:

TOTALLY NOT CRAZY! Yes I yelled that, but that outfit works. Cute, clean,and flattering.

5. Melaina25 says:

LOVE the leggings!

I’ve just resigned from my old job (at the end of my maternity leave) and have taken up a new job that lets me work at home. I could have written your description of PJs all day about my mat leave and I need to figure out how to somehow make a compromise between PJs and clothes while being a WAHM. As long as I don’t have to wear a bra if I’m in the house. That’s okay, right?

6. I think you look adorable.

Also, you are SKINNY. I officially hate you now.

Except I can’t hate you because I love you so much that I just want to squeeze you.

7. Aly says:

This outfit is the shiz. Those boots were on my Christmas wish list. Maybe next year…..and I agree, you look really skinny which is always nice.

8. pregali80/alisha says:

Completely cute and non-crazy. I dress this way much of the time. I’m a hairstylist and rock the black and grey/gold-sparkly all the time.

Oh and FYI my first thought (other than cute) was “Skinny Bitch.”
    Jealous but joining Weight Watchers ;)

9. Desi says:

I actually love it all. I really love the leggings, but I don’t know if I love them with the rest of the outfit. I think that your tank, sweater, and boots would look amazing in some skinny jeans because you are definitley skinny :).

10. Megan says:

I generally don’t approve leggings as pants, but I think the top is long enough that it’s fine. I give the outfit a AOK, and the standing on the bath tub in the mirror shot an A+ for making me laugh.

I also think Dee outfit shots are cool because baby pictures are fun. My daughter is much better dressed than me, too. (I put her in a plaid tunic and black leggings yesterday and can’t figure out if I’m dressing her to be a hipster or if all hipsters just dress like children.)

11. sarah says:

i love this outfit so much that i am going out of my way to comment with my 2 week old on my lap accidentally invoking his huge startle reflex, definitely cool!

I’m not gonna lie. I totally haven’t worn the jeans since the last post.

I mean, I still like them. I just haven’t had the balls to put them on again.

12. “so you can appropriately judge me” …ahahahah brilliant line. WELL, I actually saw you in person that day and thought you looked adorable, so there’s my answer. But must admit that it loses something in the photos …maybe cuz you can’t see the sparkles {which I loved really}

However, I rocked a sequined fanny pack two days ago walking around Santa Monica so maybe I’m not exactly the “appropriate judge” lolololoL!!! xoxox

13. Alexandria says:

how cool. you used my comment! i’m not the creepy crazy internet stalker am i? LOL. but i love this new outfit. the leggings are my fav. its something i’d wear.

14. bekah says:

Much better than round 1! I like it!

15. Rebecca says:

I actually love this, but as mentioned by PP, beware the leggings-as-pants… This top is long enough, but about as short as you can go. I am coveting that Express sweater, even though, like you, I don’t like to admit that I ever shop there. So, there’s that. Love it.

Yes, don’t worry – my postpartum ass and I are very careful about shirt length when playing with legging-fire. That was actually the first time I ever attempted it.

16. Angela says:

Um, LOVE those little boots with the fringe, BTW. :)