Soul: Crushed

{via the talented teddy smith}

Recently, I went for it and got the mom-cut I’ve been threatening to get since I squeezed this baby out nearly three years ago. Except I like to think of it as a chic Michelle Williams modified pixie, rather than then stodgy valley soccer mom look that was so popular during my 1980s youth. I was nervous and hadn’t really decided to go for it when I walked into Patrick Melville’s NY salon to take them up on their offer of some hair R&R after stumbling off the red eye from LAX, but I was tired, and only had this one photo on my phone, and Lori was enthusiastic and lucky for me she is a fantastic stylist and I couldn’t be happier with my new look.

Almost.  But then I saw that picture on Pinterest and got all itchy again.  My hair isn’t that color.  And sure, I’m intentionally bleaching out my own ends because I’m like a thirteen year old who’s parents are away for the summer when it comes to choosing a single shade for my hair, but most importantly my ROOTS aren’t that color and I really, really want them to be. But for once, Twitter wasn’t very encouraging.

To my horror…nearly every response was some variation on these two:

Ugh. It’s like my life is a full blown nightmare. WHY DOES EVERYTHING ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME?

I was born blonde. A curse, I know. And worse yet, I grew to be a dirty blonde and started coloring my hair at the ripe young age of 12 (11? 12? who can remember anymore…) so I really have very little clue of what color exactly grows out of my head. But despite years and years of hitting the bottle harder than any one girl should, I’m almost never happy with my color. Every time I see that rich natural red (or, in a different mood, a nice pale bombshell blond) I want to shave my freaking head and start all over.  Do you think Twitter is right?  Am I just destined to never look like a pre-crack Lindsay Lohan no matter how hard I try? And if so, then HOW COME ANGELA CAN PULL IT OFF?

{My ombre does looks cool in a braid though.}

Anyway, my life long quest for the perfect rouge, beginning way back when Angela Chase took the plunge on episode one of My So Called Life, I’ve come up with two favorite kitchen sink artificial reds are L’Oreal Couleur Experte in Ginger Twist (6.4) for a more natural shade (my friend Katherine, who has the most gorgeous absurd naturally red mermaid hair maybe ever even went so far as to give me the official real red-head seal of approval the last time I wore it, pictured left) and Yellow Hair 8.66 which makes me feel like Lorie Pecarovsky — the sexy partner of Moira Kelly’s skating-ex in The Cutting Edge. (pictured right.)

Got any suggestions for me? And totally unrelated, did you hear that The Price Is Right is looking for it’s first ever male spokesmodel?

16 Responses to Soul: Crushed

1. Melaina25 says:

Ahh Angela Chase. See I’ve always been the blonde petrified to dye her whole head in case I can’t get my blonde back. With the exception of my pink underneath this spring I’m pretty much blonde or blonder.Except that time I went crazy and dyed my hair brown…we don’t speak about that.

2. LittleBabyBlog says:

Get thee to a colorist. A red like that needs to be done on lightened and lifted hair (says my naturally red-haired hair girl).

3. Melinda says:

It’s funny, because I’m naturally a mousy brown, and I freaking love your red color. Grass-greener–you know the story.

4. AlishaS says:

I’m with the girl that says get to the colorist.  looking at your Pinterest pic and seeing a copper that just can’t be found in a box. I see a lighter/ darker mix and girl sometimes that just takes a professional. And you look stunning as a redhead, so go for it!

5. stone263 says:

I’m just plain jealous you can do any type of red. I have always wanted red hair (Anne of Green Gables) but mine is so dark there is no way to do it. Without looking like a freak. <3 Love how beautiful you are.

6. the grumbles says:

that girl’s hair is ridiculous. good luck. FOCUS.

7. Yeah. I’m a dirty, ash dirty blonde and when I have red hair it takes quite a bit of work from a really solid color specialist. I limp along in between using mixtures of box color (Wella color charm is my favorite prosumer box color, available at Sally’s and I switch between the different shades of red) but when my hair starts to turn stripey, I have to get someone to lighten it and start over. The top photo above was probably done on lightened hair, then toned, then accentuated in photoshop.

8. bebehblog says:

My children are natural redheads and one day I am taking my baby to the salon and telling the stylist “JUST MAKE MY HAIR THIS COLOR” while pointing at Caroline’s head. Her hair is glorious. And you, my friend, are beautiful.

9. mjillkrause says:

I hate you for how well you pull this new-age Lucille Ball look off. Seriously, it’s gorgeous.

10. adele says:

my hair is pretty much the red you want yours to be :P don’t dispair though, i live in australia and my family has a company called De Lorenzo hair care (all natural, not tested on animals etc) and when i was growing up my nonno based his red hair dyes on a swatch of my hair… if youre interested i could send you some? im not sure whether youd have to go to a salon to get it put in (pretty sure my mum does it at home by herself) but its a very good red :) anyway email me at darklight__x at hotmail dot com and i could try and get my hands on some for you to try out?

11. katstone1 says:

I love you with red. Of course I love you with any style hair in any color.

12. babechilla says:

I’m just going to go on the record here and tell you that I’ve used kool-aid to dye my hair and it was the reddest red which ever redded AND NEVER WENT AWAY OR FADED EVER. And I did it on a whim and had to wait an eternity for it to all grow up enough…

I’m not sure I’m endorsing it but, I’m just saying…..

13. Funny, I spent years trying to achieve some rich shade of red and finally gave up. Now i’m trying to get a real good platinum on and can’t get all the reddish yellow out! Apparently I am meant to be a natural gray! Bahahaha You look fab in the pic of a redhead! And, that famous redhead floating around the net and pinterest up there has me jonesing for red again!

14. Mo says:

I’m a natural blonde and every so often I get a wild hair and decide to go red. Usually, I go to my colorist in Valencia for the first go at it but once it’s done I maintain it with Garnier Nutrisse in 66-True Red. It’s beautiful. It’s the perfect shade of red. Try it!

15. Alena says:

My hair naturally pulls red. I have to go so ash it’s scary to pull off a middle of the road brown. Which is ironic considering my natural hair color, the last time I saw it, was a boring brown that was pathetic and lame and not pretty. And also not warm or red. Just boring brown. I find myself never sure of what kind of brown I want, and these days I think I want a bunch of highlights. But I also want a perm. And I know no stylist is going to do both because they will all be afraid of my hair breaking (what the eff is the point of growing my hair out if I can’t DO FUN THINGS WITH IT???).

So I think I may perm. Wait a month. Go to someone else for some highlights. Maybe. Or I will perm now (and probably again a few months later) and then high lights for spring? I am just so damn bored. I liked my hair LAST summer, the red with the highlights…except I only like it in pictures. At the time I hated it.

I am typing a lot. Which means it’s time to stop. But I have learned red is hard to perfect. And it’s like you can get it right once, but then when you do it again…even the same color…it’s different. RED IS SUCH A FICKLE BEAST.

16. Looks like a LEVEL 6 RC to me. Very pretty.
    Professional colorist