Voila.

Picture 8

He did it.   The shelf is on, the boxes fit (although ideally I’d still like to find linen covered boxes that won’t break the bank) and the thing is sturdy enough for all three of us to sleep in.   Our very own Ikea Crib Hack is complete, and I for one am over the moon with the end result (…obviously, seeing as I don’t even have crib sheets to photograph it with, but I couldn’t wait to snap some pictures and share this bad boy via the world wide web.)   It’s constructed of Leksvik Rails and base, custom built sides (2×4 framing, plywood shell, and organic non VOC paint to finish it off) and a remnant in the same stain from Ikea’s AS-IS department makes for the matching shelf below.    I couldn’t be prouder.    Total cost?   Just pennies under $200 (not including the 11$ counter sinking drill bit that Scott insisted I mention, since he said it wasn’t something most people would have, and was necessary to complete the look of the crib, and blah blah blah some other stuff that I was too busy admiring his handiwork to pay attention to.)   Anyway – here it is.   And in just 9 weeks or less, our baby will get to see this labor of love her Daddy made just for her.   (Hormones!   Stop it!)

Click HERE to see the crib that inspired us.     Click HERE to see it as a work-in-progress.

29 Responses to Voila.

1. sara says:

that looks awesome. i am super impressed!

2. emma says:

wow! it’s gorgeous!!!

NICE WORK GUYS!

3. LisaAnne says:

Wow that is great. So you designed it and built it from scratch, or did you buy it from ikea and just build it. LOL I’m a little slow catching on.

Anyway very exciting, just wait till shes 9 yrs old acting like she 13. lol jk that’s what I’m dealing with now, only with my son. He’s the opposite of normal boys, hes more mature for his age then most.

Anywya just visiting from sits, saw you on roll call and wanted to say hi!

I added myself as a follower to your blog, hope you don’t mind. =)

anyway stop by if you get bored http://smellthecoffeelisa.blogspot.com

Hi Lisa –

We designed it/copied the design of a pricey crib we loved, and used parts of an Ikea crib (the rails and the bed portion.) Then my hubs built the white parts, and the shelf beneath. So it’s a hybrid!

4. Julie says:

Love it! Looks amazing!

5. erin says:

Absolutely amazing! I am super impressed by the skills!

6. Stopping by from SITS… love that crib! I love how simple yet elegant it is. Congrats on your baby-to-be! Have a fun weekend.

7. Kelly says:

The crib is beautiful! Love your site :)

8. SCREAMING for the shelf underneath!!! Even if you don’t put anything on it! Oh man it looks so good! I love it.

*giggle to your nose comment!

9. alex says:

Though I will not name any names, Scott has put a certain gentleman designer to shame with this. Bravo to your both for design and execution.

As for the linen boxes, try Home Goods.

10. Alex says:

I love it. This is SUPER-expensive looking and the quality and finish are outstanding. Well done.

11. Summer says:

Holy crap. That is amazing!!! Love. It!

12. Amelia says:

wow, this looks amaaaaaaazing!

13. JennyMac says:

After months of crib shopping, we got a consumer report on that same crib from Ikea and it is amazing. And that price? Unbelievable and almost 1/5 of other cribs we looked at. YOURS looks amazing! I should have had your hub come and help us. LOL. Congrats…you are only weeks away!

14. Lindsey says:

Scott, well done!!! You guys are brilliant!

15. Mrs. Piggy says:

Congrats! The crib looks great! How did your hubby make the mattress adjustable?

He drilled two sets of holes for the bed frame, just like on most standard cribs. We used the original Leksvik holes as a guide.

16. Jodi says:

AMAZING WORK SCOTTY!!! this looks great! only 9 more weeks?…gulp!

17. lauren says:

hey! just found your blog…and its great. actually pretty inspirational for me to start a GOOD blog other than my lame little goat. or keep my little goat…but fix it. I need to do that. Glad to see you are doing well..and congrats on the pregnancy!

18. Pingback: Plycraft Reupholstery Project | the818.com

19. Pingback: “The Husband Stitch” | the818.com

20. Pingback: Labor of Love | the818.com

21. Brian says:

Beautiful Crib. I have checked all of your posts and am very impressed.
    One question…what is the size of each panel? (Height and Width)

Thanks

22. Nicole says:

Great hack! I’m curious to see which crib inspired you but the link you have listed requires a password ;(

23. Kat says:

Hey Morgan, thought I would let you know that I finally published pictures of our attempt at your crib hack (and included a shout out to you)! check it out over at my blog.

24. perez0926 says:

my husband is trying to recreate this crib but we need help! can you ask your husband how he made the boards step my step PLEASE!! my email is perez926@hotmail.com. i would appreciate it soooo very much! =)

25. Pingback: Big Girls Don’t Cry – They Get Twin Beds | the818.com