Labor of Love

As of this week, Dee’s Nursery – the one we started over a year ago – is finally complete. Holy crap, right? Okay so maybe finished is a little bit generous. Everything is complete, but I still have to clean and photograph the other side…which is currently stacked with boxes of her 0-6 months clothes, which I finally sorted {sobbed} through to retire. So you’re getting half a nursery tour. More to follow. (Which is kind of like my thing now anyway, right?)

This nursery has been a true labor of love for Scott and I (a labor of love so grand that it set into motion a chain of events which inspired a major life change in my husband, but more on that later…) and I am tripping all over myself to finally be able to share it. We wanted our baby girl’s room to blend with the modern vibe running through the rest of our place, but thought it should also have it’s own sense of fun and whimsy; a place for Dee to love, learn, and grow. I also had a weird pregnancy related aversion to pink and purple so I insisted that her walls be nothing of the sort, and our technicolor (read: burns a little) palette was born. Behr’s Tangy Dill won in the end, and despite immediate buyer’s remorse and a near-mental-breakdown the likes of which my husband had never seen, I eventually decided once and for all that I liked it. Looking back I feel even crazier for acting like such a freak about it because it makes the room a happy place to be, and I love the way everything pops off of it. So far, my little lady seems to agree. Her room makes her smile every time we enter it, and she definitely displays her finest “queen of the castle” attitude when we’re within it’s walls. Just as I’d hoped.

The rug is a 20$ remnant from Valley Carpet Remnant, and the Crib, as you may recall was made by my handy hubby {sheets are chocolate dot from dwell studio.} The lamp is vintage from eBay, and that’s The Easy Reader Side Table by Blu Dot for Urban Outfitters {a UO exclusive} that I lusted over and then managed to snag on final sale while x-mas shopping. The shelf is really Ikea’s Stolmen closet insert, and the chair was passed down to us by my wonderful father-in-law Barry, and then Scott reupholstered it himself. (It rocks.) The pillow on the chair is Liberty of London for Target {currently on sale}, and the teddy bear was a gift from my little cousin Adam. The elephant toy bin was a shower gift and is by 3 Sprouts from Giggle, and the Melissa and Doug Sushi play set on the floor isn’t staged, Delilah was actually playing with it there and crawled away just before I snapped the picture.

And now for the walls. The final frontier. This is what held us up all these months. Back when Dee was still in my belly I went and framed an original Valley Girl poster for her bedroom. And then I came to a screeching halt, and wrote crazy posts like THIS about how tortured I was over what to put on my baby-to-be’s bedroom walls. Originally, I had purchased and framed wee gallery’s beautiful graphic black and white flash cards to go above her chair but discovered that of the six cards three were vertical and three were horizontal, and although we toyed with the idea of staggering them, ultimately it gave us a communal migraine and we drifted back over to the Bob’s Your Uncle set {pictured} which had originally caught my eye. (The set contains 26 cards in all colors, but we stuck with the room’s native lime, fuchsia, and brown for the framing.) I swear they’re hung straight. My lens (or camera work) just make them look wonky.

{Fun Fact: Bob [no relation to the flashcard king] really is my Uncle.
Well, technically he’s Scott and Maegan’s uncle, but now he’s mine by marriage.}

For a long time I had thought I would do some sort of decal on the wall above her crib. For a short time, I thought we would fashion some sort of 3-D branch art from the corner above her crib that her IGE mobile could hang off of, but quickly thought better of it. Eventually the fates collided, I was introduced to Hoot Design Co, and, because I am a freak for type, fell hard for their Simply Yours Print. After a small framing debacle, we landed on the ikea ribba to match the frames on the Bob’s Your Uncle sextet and Scott has some very exciting plans to re-mat it in walnut veneer to match the lamp beside it. Until then, it’s looking lovely matted in the same ikea ivory as the Valley Girl poster on the opposite wall.

{we customized 15 letters of the alphabet with words and phrases
that were meaningful to us and Hoot provided the rest.}

And since I don’t want a two part nursery tour to turn in to a three part nursery tour, here is a giant collage of my favorite details from the South/West side of the room [click to enlarge.]

{Sara knitted that Momma and Baby Monster set.   Crazy, right?}

And here’s what it looks like when Dee gets through with it:

“You talkin’ about me, Mommy Sucka?”

PART TWO CONTINUES HERE

25 Responses to Labor of Love

1. Jessi says:

I would never think to use lime green for walls, but good lord, her room ROCKS! Well done, mama.
    xoxo J

2. FancyasFuck says:

I love, love, love. Worth the wait for sure :)

3. lori says:

Pretty much the most gorgeous nursery I have seen. And no, I don’t say that to everyone. I absolutely love everything about it. Amazing

4. Wow. That’s a gorgeous color palatte you’ve got there. I love it.

5. Julie says:

Her room is amazing. Will you please come and do Brayden’s?

6. LOVE IT. Every inch of it. I still love the work you did to that chair! Great job, mama!

7. Megan says:

Wow, a 9 month old has a sweeter room than me. Just when I thought I couldn’t get any lamer!

Seriously, though, it’s gorgeous and I love the colors.

8. metta1313 says:

I love it! It’s funny you posted this b/c I’m in the midst of working on Abigail’s nursery since it never really had any style. (The hubs wanted to do it…I let him…it never got finished…I’ve found my own style now.) And it’s funny b/c I really like your style and all the things you talk about and there are some things I look at in working on her room and I totally wonder if you might like it. Totally true story. Does that make me a weirdo? So yeah, at some point, I’m going to post a picture of what I’m doing with the room. Perhaps in pieces b/c it takes time, and well, money.

Oh and another thing we have in common…the whole not wanting the room to be super duper girly with pink walls and such. Abigail’s room is painted green. Seriously wish we lived in the same place. But I will settle for the same coast.

9. Mesina says:

Uhhhhh….you can come and design my ENTIRE HOUSE hmmkay? Oh and I’m moving into Dee’s room next week, just so ya know. Also, I love coffee in the morning. xx

10. Emmie Bee says:

Amazing. I couldn’t have imagined it cuter. You did a great job!

11. Pingback: Tweets that mention Labor of Love | the818.com -- Topsy.com

12. emma says:

that last pic of Dee is just SO CUTE

13. It seriously looks like you ripped it right from a magazine! I adore everything in there and bookmarked the sushi set! Love it!

14. Anne says:

I love Dee’s room and I love the way what you did on her room. I was also thinking of a color for my daughter’s room. A purple was first on mind. Seeing lime green, it’s so calm and cool. Early Pregnancy Symptoms

15. Meghan says:

Wow, gorgeous. You have great taste! I obsessed over my DD’s nursery before she was born, and had it all set up and ready when she came, but then she ended up sleeping with us for the first 6 months and then we moved her room… needlesstosay, that cute nursery i put together has pretty much fallen apart- this inspires me to get it back in shape, for my now 8-month-old daughter!

Dee is one lucky kid! Good work.

16. “G is for Go Dodgers” LOVE that. That is so neat. Her room is gorgeous, can’t wait to see the other half!

17. lauren says:

love the color palate. I also might be so obsessed with that alphabet picture that i bookmark it as a must have for when i get pregnant.

18. Pingback: Dee’s Nursery: Part Deux | the818.com

19. N. says:

What’s the paint and colour you used for the walls? Looks great!

20. Pingback: Nursery love. Sigh. « a little fudge

21. Pingback: Five Blogs I Stalk Daily «

22. Jennie B says:

Great room. Looks so rich but I love that you did it with cost in mind! Wish my husband was as handy as your!

Stopping by from SITS.