I think maybe…a weekly series?

I have no idea what my fingers are doing.   My brain is screaming all kinds of rational reasons why I shouldn’t put this additional pressure on myself, and yet my fingers and my guts are saying “nah…go on ahead with this one…it’s gonna be good for you.”

So…[brushing angel off shoulder] I think I’m starting a weekly blog series thing.   I’m calling it MAKING IT WORK IN 1000 FEET, SQUARED (give or take).

I realize that’s a terrible tittle for my weekly series, so we’ll come up with a better name.  In fact, if you have a better name for this series, by all means, share it in the comments, and I’ll probably go with it over that mouthful.   Maybe it should be something like “Thursday Purgeday” but that sucks too.

Anyway, here’s the skinny. For the past five years, Scott and I have shared this lovely duplex in The Valley (a.k.a. The 818, that’s eight-one-eight, in case you’ve ever wondered.)    It’s just under 1100 sq. feet, plus this dank but couldn’t-live-without-it basement space that currently acts as storage/laundry room/Scott’s office.    Anyway, these two bedrooms and 1100 square feet were plenty when Scott and I first moved in here as a carefree boyfriend & girlfriend with two dogs half-a-decade ago. Boyfriend & girlfriend pack rats from hell, I might add.

But so much has changed since then.   We never imagined for a flingin’-flangin’ second that we’d be bringing our first baby home to this renters paradise.   Still here we are.   What was once my office is Dee’s bedroom, what was once my living room is a playroom/office, and what was once ample space is now closing in on us by the minute (and did I mention? TWO DOGS?)

So…I’m thinking I’ll share with you guys our weekly progress as we purge.  And then if you want to join in on the spring cleaning fun (I know it’s not *exactly* spring yet) you can go ahead and link up your progress in the comments.  Sound good?   But seriously…let’s think of another name for this thing thought because there’s no way I’m getting MAKING IT WORK IN 1000 FEET, SQUARED (give or take)” on a button.

Also, this isn’t just for people who live in teeny tiny places like we do (and we love love love our place — don’t get me wrong).   This can be fun and useful even if you  have plenty of space but are just finding yourself overwhelmed by crap you’ve accumulated and don’t need, until all of a sudden you’re watching an episode of Hoarders with a mouth full of donut, and it hits you:  “Oooooooh, shit.”

I don’t know.  Maybe this is stupid and no one will do it.   But I’m still going to do it, so…

First up in my house?   My office.  It was our most aggressive attack on our lack of space when I was laid off and we realized that we would, in fact, be bringing Dee home to our beloved disco pad in the Val.

The overall idea is working beautifully, but I am an organizational disaster — especially at the moment when I’ve been pulling out every file in existence — so it’s the project I’m currently undertaking in full force because it’s messing with my daily functionality.   And in the spirit of showing life as it is, rather than how it looks after I clean it up for a photo shoot….I give you ~ My Expedit Office in full-blown Thursday Condition.

That’s how my make-shift cubie appears from the dining room/kitchen area of our house. We have a super open floor plan so lounge (bar) living room, dining room, office and kitchen are basically all one big space.   We’re still looking for better, longer-term solutions for Dee’s toys — something lovely like this bin from Finch Home’s Etsy Shop.

Until such time, the Drona boxes filling the bottom level of our expedit are working out swimmingly.  Dee can even pull them out and put them back herself.   (Although generally she opts out of the latter.)

On the right hand side, you can see where our living room couch backs right up to my office.   Good times.   Thankfully, there is such a thing as noise reducing headphones. (Here’s a crazy expensive version. Mine were a cheap corporate gift from CAA.)   Moving on…

I stand behind my idea…if you can call any part of our place “exceptionally large” our living room is going to be that place.    But my execution?   I fail in like 17 ways.  Oh yes, there are cubbies galore, but they are all terribly, horribly, under-used.  The concept was there, but I just never quite finished.  So #1 on my list of projects for “spring cleaning” is to get rid of all the stuff I no longer need in my office, and make it a clean, efficient space where I can get some freakin’ work done.

And then I’m going to invest in really fancy noise-canceling headphones.   Ugh, and a new printer/scanner/fax.  Which I could rant about for a whole hour and a half all by themselves…because I swear they build those things like they’re freaking disposables.

So that’s where I’m starting my purge.   It’s not even funny some of the crap from old jobs and random blog swag I’m stil hanging on to.   What’s your biggest problem area (don’t say ass & thighs) and how to you plan to tackle it?   Any advice for me?   What should I call this thing?

All that and more…. xoxoxo -m-

23 Responses to I think maybe…a weekly series?

1. Kathleen says:

How about “keeping the pad rad”? (totally corny, right?)

I also struggle with what to do with all these toy (THEY ARE FREAKING TAKING OVER!). I just read an awesome idea about a rotation system for toys. Basically we will leave out enough toys to fit two of the medium sized Expedit units that we have (one for each child) and putting the rest of the crap, er I mean toys, in storage containers down the basement. After about a month or so we will rotate and bring the basement toys up and put the others down. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Now, if I can just convince my 6 year old that this is THE BEST IDEA EVER we will be good to go!

hahaha – dude, “keeping the pad rad” is definitely a better choice than “Thursday Purgeday.” That doesn’t even rhyme.

2. How about PURGEatory-cause I like to make up words. You are purging, and it feels like purgatory cause you are stuck between heaven and hell till you finish. lol

I just moved in with my now-fiance (my son’s dad) and all our crap from the last place we lived in is IN THE GARBAGE. Finally. We moved into a 2 br 1 car garage house and we’ve started from scratch. Keeping it clean is easier without all the extra boxes of stuff that doesn’t need to stay.

3. Erin says:

Oh, man do I ever feel you. I just wrote a super long post on my blog about our housing dilemma – we too have about 1000sq feet but we own and are kind of stuck now. We MAJORLY need to get rid of some shit, and I think the office is a perfect place to start – so I’ll be with you on this series!

Awesome! I mean, not about the 1000 fq feet, etc. But yeah – it’s amazing what you accumulate pre-kids (@alisha too) that you realize just don’t need in any way shape or form.

4. Denise says:

We added on 800 SF when our quads were born and we just continue to fill up all available space with more crap! I need like a whole March Makeover!

5. Apol says:

It feels like you are writing my story up there. Especially, the part about Hoarders and a donut. When the hubs and I moved in together we were pack-rats. Add two kids to the mix and it’s really not getting any better. I totally want to join you on this venture. I think I’ll with our bedroom until it gets a bit warmer then tackle the garage (these are the places we just cram everything that doesn’t fit). I And I second the name: PURGEatory. Cleaver, funny, and cute.

Apol

Also: Hi.. long time reader, first time commenter.

6. Saz says:

Oh I am SO in. We live in about 1200 sq ft – two adults, one soon to be two kids, one cat, one dog… I feel like I’m continually coming up with new ways to maximize our space!

7. Jacob says:

Reading your post while Brittany is making a Saturday afternoon out of purging / reorganizing our kitchen, I’m struck by how with each of your posts I can’t get over how similar you and Scott are to the two of us.

Except for +1 baby and +1 dog—stressful but a good stress I bet. :)

8. Dione Mazin says:

This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share this with everyone.

9. Megan says:

The making it work in 1000 feet makes me think of the under a grand a month blogger that was all over BOTB on the Bump for a bit (I still have that blog link too, she was craaaazy)
    I love the idea, why not make it bi-weekly? oR one week a before, one week an after? That might be less stressful?

10. I’m excited about this. We are rocking the Drona’s as storage bins too. Great minds.

11. Susan says:

I’m so in for this. We have a decent amount of space. But are using SO poorly. And the attic upstairs has turned into a graveyard for things from my college days (and before). I want a place for everything. I’ll link up one of these weeks when I have time to put together a post.

I’m excited! I’ve been needing a reason to get started purging and organizing. This’ll keep me honest.

12. Karen says:

I’m so down for this. I’m trying my best to make myself get in gear with Spring cleaning and some much-needed organizing, and a weekly (or monthly, bi-weekly, whatever) linky party would be so fun!

13. Those book cases make a sweet little office in a room. Love that idea.

14. Pingback: Oh fuck, it’s Thursday already. | the818.com

15. Liz says:

Oh man, I am SO onboard with this. Bubba and I just moved and there are boxes E-VER-REE where and it’s making me nuts. I purged as I packed but I still wound up moving a helluva lot more crap than I wanted to. Ok, Thursday Purgeday is on!

PS – Love your blog, by the way!

16. Mary says:

We are making it work in 833 square feet with a 6 yr. old and a kitten. We are planning on adopting a toddler to share all 99 square feet that is our daughter’s bedroom. Yeah, we’re nuts, but the choice was bigger house or another kid.
    I have no idea how we are going to handle all the extra crap that will come with another kid.

17. Pingback: Bouncing Souls | the818.com